Now that we’re in the heat of summer, I’ve been craving iced coffee which I’ve been making at home with some added protein!
Because I’m pregnant, I’m trying to keep my caffeine intake around 100mg/day which is about one cup of drip coffee made at home. I’m avoiding lattes and iced coffees from coffee shops (though I treat myself to one every few weeks or so) for the time being, but that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t get to enjoy a homemade iced coffee.
This recipe is super simple and affordable – which I love! I can make one cup each morning so it’s fresh. Plus it really hits the spot on the those warm summer mornings. I know a lot of people make a similar drink to this using coffee or espresso with a pre-made protein shake, but I already have the protein powder at home making this cost effective and easy!
What You’ll Need
- 8 – 12 ounces strong coffee
- protein powder – I use Quest Nutrition Vanilla Ice Cream
- milk – I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- sugar free vanilla syrup or sweetener of your choice(optional)
- blender/shaker bottle, mason jar, or something to mix the protein powder with the mix
- Brew your coffee and chill in the fridge for an hour, if you have time.
- Add ice to a tumbler or glass jar and pour over the coffee. Stir.
- If you’re using a syrup/sweetener, add desired amount.
- In a shaker bottle or jar (I use a 16 oz. Blender Bottle), add the amount of milk you want to use. I use around 3 – 4 oz. of unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Then add your protein powder of choice – again add the amount you want. If I’m having this as a post-workout coffee, I add more protein powder. Otherwise I add about 5 gram of protein powder. Shake well.
- Pour the protein shake into the coffee. Stir.
- Taste for desired sweetness/creaminess. Adjust if needed.
See – super easy! Enjoy!